qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: [libvirt] Supporting hypervisor specific APIs in li

From: Avi Kivity
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: [libvirt] Supporting hypervisor specific APIs in libvirt
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 19:01:10 +0300

On 03/25/2010 10:18 AM, Alexander Graf wrote:

libqemu.so would be a C API.  C is not the first choice for writing GUIs or
management applications.  So it would need to be further wrapped.

We also need to allow qemu to control the display directly, without going
through vnc.
For the current functionality I tend to disagree. All that we need is an shm
vnc extension that allows the GUI and qemu to not send image data over the
wire, but only the dirtyness information.

It still means an extra copy. I don't think we want to share the guest framebuffer (it includes offscreen bitmaps), so we'll need to copy it somewhere else. It's even worse with qxl/spice where there is no framebuffer.

As soon as we get to 3D things might start to look different.

Very different.

--
Do not meddle in the internals of kernels, for they are subtle and quick to
panic.