qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] 64-bit Guest With kqemu

From: Gordan Bobic
Subject: [Qemu-devel] 64-bit Guest With kqemu
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2010 14:45:05 +0100

Hi,

Has the issue with running 64-bit guests on 64-bit hosts with kqemu ever been resolved? I have seen numerous bug reports relating to the error

kqemu: aborting: Unexpected exception 0x0d in monitor space

when running 64-bit guests. I haven't seen any patches to resolve the problem, though, and the error reports go back a few years, and to kqemu 1.3. I am using kqemu 1.4 and that still suffers from it.

This is particularly frustrating because it _almost_ works. The 64-bit Linux kernel loads, and the VM dies shortly after starting init, first at udev startup, or if that is disabled, a little later on. Is there a fix for this issue available?

32-bit guests, of course, run perfectly fine.

I know that kqemu support is being dropped with qemu 0.12.x, but it is still a very useful tool for machines without hardware VT support (e.g. Atoms), hence why I am still actively using it. The only alternative for VT-less hardware and remotely reasonable performance is vmware, and that has several un-disablable "features" that make it unworkable for a lot of my use-cases.

TIA.

Gordan