qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [GSoC 2010] Pass-through filesystem support.

From: Mohammed Gamal
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [GSoC 2010] Pass-through filesystem support.
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 00:34:10 +0200

On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 12:22 AM, Javier Guerra Giraldez
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 5:17 PM, Mohammed Gamal <address@hidden> wrote:
>> That's all good and well. The question now is which direction would
>> the community prefer to go. Would everyone be just happy with
>> virtio-9p passthrough? Would it support multiple OSs (Windows comes to
>> mind here)? Or would we eventually need to patch Samba for passthrough
>> filesystems?
>
> found this:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/ninefs/
>
> it's a BSD-licensed 9p client for windows.... i have no idea of how
> stable / complete / trustable it is; but might be some start
>

> --
> Javier

Hi Javier,
Thanks for the link. However, I'm still concerned with
interoperability with other operating systems, including non-Windows
ones. I am not sure of how many operating systems actually support 9p,
but I'm almost certain that CIFS would be more widely-supported.
I am still a newbie as far as all this is concerned, so if anyone has
any arguments as to whether which approach should be taken, I'd be
enlightened to hear them.

Regards,
Mohammed