qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] virtio block device and sysfs

From: Marc Haber
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] virtio block device and sysfs
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 22:33:21 +0200

Hi,

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 03:14:48PM +0000, Paul Brook wrote:
> > > John attempted this and it was reverted because the implementation
> > > exhausted the PCI config space.
> >
> > I don't understand that. Existig hardware devices dump much more of
> > their data such as vendor and model type information into the config
> > space, how can using a field that real hardware uses exhaust the
> > config space?
>
> I think you (collectively) are confusing three different things:

Perfectly accepted. I don't know zilch about today's hardware, I am
not a developer but only a systems administrator wishing for some more
flexibility in a software that I use every day.

> - PCI config space: Not used in any significant way other than the standard
> fields (i.e. basic device ID and configuring BARs). Slow/hard to access.
>
> - PCI IO BAR: Used by virtio-pci devices to expose the virtio config space.
> Extremely limited resource (max. 64k for the whole system). On real hardware
> only really used for legacy interfaces because it's slow, cumbersome, and x86
> specific.  Unfortunately it currently seems to lower overhead than MMIO on
> KVM
> :-(
>
> - PCI MEM BAR (usually MMIO): How real devices expose themselves. Relatively
> large address space (megabytes) available.

Looks like PCI MEM BAR may be the way to go.

Greetings
Marc

Nordisch by Nature |  How to make an American Quilt | Fax: *49 3221 2323190