qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: [uq/master patch 2/5] kvm: add logging count to slots

From: Avi Kivity
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: [uq/master patch 2/5] kvm: add logging count to slots
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 17:17:55 +0300

On 04/25/2010 04:57 PM, Jan Kiszka wrote:

It's still a good idea.  The current API assumes that there will be only
one slot-based client (or that multiple clients will keep the refcount
themselves).

After the bytemap ->  multiple bitmaps conversion this can be extended to
each client getting its own bitmap (and therefore, s/refcount/list of
bitmaps/ and s/!refcount/list_empty()/).

No concerns if
  - there is an existing use case for multiple clients, at least in
    qemu-kvm

There isn't.  But I don't like hidden breakage.

  - the logging API is consistently converted, not just extended
    (IOW, migration_log is converted to logging_count)

migration_log needs to remain global, since we want hotplug memory to autostart logging.

  - someone signs he checked that current use of start/stop in qemu is
    completely symmetrical (I think to remember this used to be not the
    case, but I might be wrong)

I remember this too.  Marcelo?