qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] running qemu-system-mipsel with VGA graphic mode based

From: daniel tian
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] running qemu-system-mipsel with VGA graphic mode based malta board kernel
Date: Sat, 8 May 2010 16:24:06 +0800

hi, all:
I just finished a mips qemu with framebuffer graphic display. graphics
card is not based on Cirrus.
I defined a virtual graphic card with features following:
1. support only 32bpp (true color)framebuffer.
2. display resolution only support width X height = 640 X 480.
3. with only register support: Framebuffer Address. when kernel
allocate the framebuffer memory, the start address will be filled into
this register.

The qemu I ported is based on qemu- 0.11.1, a function named
"framebuffer_update_display" is called to display the linux XWindow.
The mips machine is revised from mips malta board. I just replaced the
Cirrus Card with mavrix-lcd (my virtual display card I named.) .So
anyelse left is almost same as the malta board.
A poky (an openembedded based linux for embedded.) was built for qemu testing.
By the way, the poky can run in qemu with -nographic mode. but after I
added the virtual graphic card in qemu (of course, a new framebuffer
driver was written in kernel for this new virtual card.), with graphic
mode, the qemu shows a window which displays the poky startup
pecertage.

But here is the problem, the qemu got stunk when the poky startup
almost finished(there is an progress bar show the startup percentage
). I don't know what happening. because no console text showed.
and the qemu still runs ok when -nographic option is used.

is there any way that can let the qemu show both the linux startup
console message in terminal, and SDL simulator window.
Here is the command I used to run qemu:

qemu-system-mipsel -M mavrix -kernel ../kernel/vmlinux -hda
~/rootfs_poky.ext2 -append "root=/dev/hda rootfstype=ext2
console=ttyS0"

My friend told me maybe the wrong console used in command line caused
the linux can not login successfully.
Any idear?

didanyone also have this problem before.
Any suggestions is appreciated.