qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: SVM emulation: EVENTINJ marked valid when a pagefau

From: Erik van der Kouwe
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: SVM emulation: EVENTINJ marked valid when a pagefault happens while issuing a software interrupt
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 15:30:19 +0200

Hi,

And the svm-emulation is only available on AMD hardware.

I assume you mean nested SVM emulation in a KVM guest is only
available on real AMD hardware?

Is this due to something inherent, or just a limitation of the KVM
code not handling all the necessary traps in kvm-intel?

I don't think you could hardware-emulate a CPU from a different brand. AMD instructions would probably trap on Intel, but might also just do something completely different without a #VMEXIT. Same problem would exist vice versa.

Would be nice to have nested VMX support though, given that Intel CPUs are so much more common than AMDs. I've been searching on the Dell website (in the Netherlands) for a laptop recently and I couldn't find a single AMD model.

With kind regards,
Erik