qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Arm big endian?

From: Rob Landley
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Arm big endian?
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2010 18:25:03 -0500

On Thursday 03 June 2010 02:52:03 Paul Brook wrote:
> > I'm trying to get arm big endian support to work.  I patched the 2.6.33
> > kernel to pretend that good old versatilepb can have a big endian CPU
> > plugged into it (attached), and then I built a kernel with the attached
> > .config, and qemu went "boing":
>
> That's about the result I'd expect. The fact that neither qemu nor linux
> claim to support big-endian mode for this hardware should be your first
> clue.

Understood.  I there a better emulation to try?

When you say "this hardware" do you mean the board, or do you mean big endian
arm as a CPU?  Because there _is_ a qemu-armeb.  There isn't a qemu-system-
armeb that I'm aware of, but I thought it autodetected endianness at least for
the CPU...)

If it's the board, I did that because versatilepb has essentially been the
generic board emulation I've plugged all the other arm variants into.  There
isn't a -M ip4xx that I'm aware of.  (I can try configuring a kernel with just
serial console and see if I can get that to boot, and then add back net and
disk and such one at a time, if that might be a reasonable approach...)

> > Does this look more like a kernel error, or a qemu error?
>
> Probably both.

If I could just get them to agree, I'd be happy.  I just want a setup that can
run a big endian arm userspace under system emulation (with network, serial
console, clock, and disk).  Emulating a feasible board would be a nice bonus,
but not actually a goal.

> Paul

Rob