qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: [CFR 6/10] cont command

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: [CFR 6/10] cont command
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 12:18:24 -0500

This is related to the commands, not QMP per se:

Once that we are talking about "cont" command.  There are two cases that
we need to think of:

- incoming migration:

If you start with -incoming foo, and then run "cont" on the monitor
without having started the migration .... corruption is ensured.
This is why '-incoming' command line arg should die, and be replaced
with a 'incoming' monitor command that would simply not allow 'cont'
to be run until it completed.

For that matter, even with '-incoming' arg on command line we could
refuse to honour 'cont' until the incoming migration had been done.

If we had an incoming migration command, I think we'd have to think careful about it's semantics. Is it reasonable to allow a machine that's otherwise running to do an incoming command?

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

- outgoing migration

After sucessful migration, we can issue "cont" command in source, and
having source and target running at the same time ->  disk corruption
again.
This doesn't have to mean corruption. eg two machines using cluster-LVM.
The target QEMU is using a writable snapshot of the volume the source
QEMU is using. So you could in fact start the source again and have two
copies of the guest running at once. At the QEMU level I don't think we
should try to force policy of this kind, since it'll prevent people
experimenting with interesting new use cases. There are also soooooooo
many other ways you can  trash your data with multiple hosts. If you
want safe migration, use a management app which adds a level of policy
to protect against stupid decisions

Daniel