qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: block: format vs. protocol, and how they stack

From: Jamie Lokier
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: block: format vs. protocol, and how they stack
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 17:46:06 +0100

Markus Armbruster wrote:
> A possible reason why we currently expose format and protocol at the
> user interface is to avoid stacking there.

Pragmatic solution?: A few generic flags in each stacking module
("format/protocol/transport"), which govern which other modules are
allowed to stack on top or underneath.

For example, vvfat may provide a blockdev-like abstraction, along with
flags STACK_ABOVE_ONLY_RAW | STACK_BELOW_ONLY_DIRECTORY, which means
"raw" and "blkdebug" are allowed above (of course ;-) but other things
like the image formats shouldn't be.  And below, it can't stack on a
blockdev-like abstraction, but needs a directory and uses filesystem
operations on it - the thing that Plan9fs needs.

Btw, I think we expose "format" because "virtual disk image file
format" is a useful and meaningful concept to users.  When someone
needs to use a .VMDK file, they know it as a "VMDK format file", not
"I must use the VMDK protocol with this file".

-- Jamie