qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Question about qemu firmware configuration (fw_cfg) dev

From: Gleb Natapov
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Question about qemu firmware configuration (fw_cfg) device
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 11:30:50 +0300

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 10:24:46AM +0200, Alexander Graf wrote:

> On 19.07.2010, at 10:19, Gleb Natapov wrote:

> >> I disagree. Virtualization enables new use cases. The -initrd parameter is
> >> a very good example for that. It's something that you simply couldn't do
> >> on real hw.
> >>
> > How is it different from starting kernel/initrd from usb flash drive?
>
> The kernel and initrd are read directly from the host fs. It's more like a 9p
> grub boot.

There is no "host" on real HW :) But conceptually it's almost the same.
9p grub boot would be also nice. Hmm, I think PXE is closest to
-kernel/-initrd option on real HW.

> >> Just because you don't use them doesn't mean they're pathological, really.
> >> We simply chose a bad interface for transferring reasonable big chunks of
> >> data and we need to fix that. If you want to look at it from a different
> >> perspective, it's a regression. Older qemu versions did map the kernel and
> >> initrd directly into guest ram, so now we're slower than back then.
> >>
> > I use them hundred time each day (at least -kernel part). If the
> > interface is slow for your use case I have no problem with introducing
> > new one, but the one that make sense in x86 architecture. I do not agree
> > this is regression BTW. You can't compare buggy way of doing things and
> > non-buggy way and say that bug fixing is a regression.
> >
> > What about adding new PCI card that holds kernel initrd in ROM bar?
>
> Yes and no. It sounds nice at first, but doesn't quite fit. There are two
> issues:
>
> 1) We need a new PCI ID
We have our range. We can allocate from there.

> 2) There can be a lot of initrd binaries with multiboot. We only have a
> limited amount of BARs

Is it supported now with fw_cfg interface? My main concern with this
approach is huge BAR size that may take a lot of space from PCI MMIO range
if guest OS decide to configure it.

--
                        Gleb.