qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Question about e1000 NIC emulation in Qemu - chipset used

From: Anjali Kulkarni
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Question about e1000 NIC emulation in Qemu - chipset used
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2010 10:43:06 -0700

Hi,

I am using Qemu for emulation of my virtual e1000 NIC, and my driver for the
e1000 is a modified version of 82547EI. (Modified because it is userspace
and plugs into other modules - but the device access specific parts are not
modified).
I wanted to know which chipset exactly does Qemu emulate? Does it make a
difference if it is different from the 82547? I see that 82547 is in the
e1000 family, so should my driver work for a variant of the e1000 family
which Qemu or vmware supports, for eg, vmware supports 82545EM, so can I use
my driver for 82547(maybe I will need some modifications) and will it work
with the emulated e1000 nic in vmware?
Which chipset does Qemu's e1000 emulate?

Thanks!
Anjali