qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: [RFC][STABLE 0.13] Revert "qcow2: Use bdrv_(p)write_syn

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: [RFC][STABLE 0.13] Revert "qcow2: Use bdrv_(p)write_sync for metadata writes"
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 08:37:45 -0500

On 08/25/2010 08:07 AM, Avi Kivity wrote:

The next allocation can then be filled from memory, so the allocation sync is amortized over many blocks. A power fail will leak the preallocated blocks, losing some megabytes of address space, but not real disk space.

It's a clever idea, but it would lose real disk space which is probably not a huge issue.

Not real disk space since no pwrite() would ever touch the disk. If the image were copied, _then_ we'd lose the disk space, if the copy command and filesystem don't optimize zeros away. \

Ok.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

And that's it.  There is no scenario where the disk is corrupted.

_if_ that's the only failure mode.

If we had another disk format that only supported growth and metadata for a backing file, can you think of another failure scenario?

I can't think of one, but that's not saying much.