qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: Unmaintained QEMU builds

From: Andreas Färber
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: Unmaintained QEMU builds
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2010 18:35:57 +0200

Am 05.09.2010 um 17:41 schrieb Paolo Bonzini:

The main thing is what you wrote in another message: what can QEMU offer on Windows and Darwin that semi-free Virtual Box and proprietary VMware cannot? I like to think that it can offer something, but maybe I'm wrong. :/

On Darwin/ppc64, I'm using QEMU for emulation of ppc, sparc and less common x86. There's no real competitor. My management tool is bash though.

On Darwin/x86, VirtualBox has a foreign Qt-based UI. In terms of the machine's GUI itself it shouldn't be too hard to compete with some extensions to the Cocoa frontend (was going to look into that, QMP might make this less invasive).
VMware Fusion and Parallels are not free.

Never used it on Windows. I guess it's more the unique emulation capabilities it has to offer.

Andreas