qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: 8 NIC limit

From: Dustin Kirkland
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: 8 NIC limit
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2010 08:24:57 -0700

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 7:48 AM,  <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello list:
>
> I'm working on a project that calls for the creation of a firewall in
> KVM.
> While adding a 20-interface trunk of virtio adapters to bring in a dual
> 10GB bond, I've discovered an 8 NIC limit in QEMU.
>
> I found the following thread in the list archives detailing a similar
> problem:
> http://kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/linux-kvm/2009/1/29/4848304
>
> It includes a patch for the file qemu/net.h to allow 24 NICs:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/qemu-kvm";>qemu-kvm/+bug/595873/+attachment/1429544/+files/max_nics.patch
>
> In my case I want to attach 29, and have simply changed line 8 to 30
> from 24.
>
> This will be the first patch I've ever had to do, and so far my internet
> search yields results that don't seem to apply.
>
> Would someone like to recommend a pertinent tutorial?

Hi there,

I commented on the original bug in Launchpad.  We're willing and able
to carry the patch against qemu-kvm in Ubuntu, I just asked that the
reporter at least submit the patch upstream for discussion.  I don't
see where that has happened yet.  It's a trivial patch to submit.
Please note in that bug a pointer to the mailing list thread, if you
start one.

To your specific question, different communities have different
requirements on patch submission, so you do need to consult each
community.  A good place to start might be the
Documentation/SubmittingPatches how-to in the kernel tree:
 *
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=blob_plain;f=Documentation/SubmittingPatches;hb=HEAD

In this case, I think you're going to want to send your patch to the
qemu-devel (on CC) mailing list (perhaps in addition to sending it
here, to the kvm list).

:-Dustin