qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Can we remove special handling of standard header

From: Stefan Weil
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Can we remove special handling of standard headers (introduced for dyngen / OSX?)
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 18:22:13 +0200

Am 10.10.2010 00:46, schrieb Andreas Färber:
Am 04.10.2010 um 21:29 schrieb Stefan Weil:

Am 25.09.2010 09:46, schrieb Blue Swirl:
On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 8:44 PM, Stefan Weil <address@hidden> wrote:
Am 23.09.2010 22:33, schrieb Blue Swirl:

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 7:28 PM, Stefan Weil <address@hidden> wrote:

Replace the remaining format attribute printf by macro
GCC_FMT_ATTR which uses gnu_printf (if supported).

This needs additional code changes:

* Add qemu-common.h (which defined GCC_FMT_ATTR) were needed.

* Remove standard includes when qemu-common.h was added.
qemu-common.h already provides these includes.

* Remove local definitions which now come from stdio.h.
These definitions were needed before tcg was introduced.
They raise conflicts when qemu-common.h is included.

IIRC the problem was that some system headers were incompatible with
global asm variables. There is still one, AREG0.

But I'd rather not keep the hideous local definitions forever. Maybe
those systems which are broken by the patch are not interesting
anymore?

Are there such systems? Or did the problems with earlier
versions arise from the fact that a lot of global asm variables
were reserved by qemu? How could a correctly defined AREG0
interfere with system headers?

One explanation is that the code in target-*/op_helper.c may assume
that env/AREG0 is always available but since library functions may
clobber that, we want to hide them.

For linux and win32, I did not notice problems caused by these changes.

It looks like that code has origins in one of the very first patches,
r16 or ba1c6e37fc5efc0f3d1e50d0760f9f4a1061187b. It was moved from
exec-i386.h to dyngen-exec.h by r236 or
79638566e5b87058e92f537b989df0dbc23f8b41. R997 or
1e6cae953d6a37216359b79e05d23e1bf4dc6bbe added a warning about system
headers. The commits around that add OS X support, maybe the problem
was there?

Current qemu code includes several locations where standard headers
like stdio.h are forbidden. See qemu-common.h (__DYNGEN_EXEC_H__),
dyngen-exec.h, cris-dis.h and perhaps more examples of this
restriction.

Who knows the reason for this restriction? Was it use of global registers
with dyngen? Was it needed only for certain hosts (maybe OSX) or old
versions of gcc?

Most important: Is this restriction still needed?

It would simplify things like common declarations and also allow
cleaner code (without private declarations for FILE etc.) if we could
remove this restriction.

In my personal test environment (gcc-4.x, linux on different hosts, win32)
the restriction was not needed.

Tested-by: Andreas Färber <address@hidden>

Patch 2/3 [1] compiles without warnings on Mac OS X v10.5 ppc64, using Apple's GCC 4.0.1. As guests, AIX/ppc64, Haiku/ppc, Fedora/x64 and Haiku/i386 booted as before.

Andreas

[1] http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/65574/

Andreas, thank you for testing.

Blue Swirl, for the next steps towards getting full format checks
patch 2/3 or something equivalent is needed because GCC_FMT_ATTR
(which is defined in qemu-common.h) should be available
everywhere.

With Andreas test results, we now know that Linux, OSX and Win32
don't need the restriction regarding system include files like stdio.h.

Do you think more tests are needed, should we wait for more feedback
or can the patch be applied?