qemu-devel

Re: [SeaBIOS] [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Passing boot order from qemu to seabios

From: H. Peter Anvin
Subject: Re: [SeaBIOS] [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Passing boot order from qemu to seabios
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 14:15:26 -0700

On 10/11/2010 01:30 PM, Anthony Liguori wrote:
> On 10/11/2010 02:59 PM, Gleb Natapov wrote:
>> No boot rom should do that. extboot wreaks havoc when it is used.
>> And since virtio is now supported by bios there is no reason to use it.
>
> You don't really have a choice.  You could be doing hardware passthrough
> and the ROM on the card may hijack int19.

The BBS standard actually documents how to deal with that -- it pretty
much works out to "let the card initialize, then see if it mucked with
int19, and then put int19 back... if we want to run that card, then we
invoke the int19 that the card set up."

>> Whoever needs scsi boot should add it to seabios too.
>>

> I don't disagree.
>
> I think the best thing to do is to let SeaBIOS create a boot order table
> that contains descriptive information and then advertise that to QEMU.
>
> QEMU can then try to associate the list of bootable devices with it's
> own set of devices and select a preferred order that it can then give
> back to SeaBIOS.  SeaBIOS can then present that list to the user for
> additional refinement.

Really, this kind of comes down to having a data structure that anything
(Qemu, SeaBIOS and if needed the guest OS) can read and modify as needed.

        -hpa