qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Hitting 29 NIC limit

From: Avi Kivity
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Hitting 29 NIC limit
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 15:23:22 +0200

 On 10/14/2010 02:54 PM, Anthony Liguori wrote:
The key is to make the virtio-net devices multifunction and to fill out all 8 functions for each slot.

This is unlikely to work right wrt pci hotplug.

Yes. Our hotplug design is based on devices.. This is wrong, it should be based on bus-level concepts (like PCI slots).

If we want to support a large number of interfaces, we need true multiport cards.

This magic here creates a multiport virtio-net card so I'm not really sure what you're suggesting. It would certainly be nice to make this all more user friendly (and make hotplug work).

The big issue is to fix hotplug.

I don't see how we can make it user friendly, without making the ordinary case even more unfriendly. Looks like we need yet another level of indirection here.