qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: TODO item: guest programmable mac/vlan filtering with m

From: Arnd Bergmann
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: TODO item: guest programmable mac/vlan filtering with macvtap
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 12:31:43 +0200

On Friday 15 October 2010, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 11:40:52PM +0200, Dragos Tatulea wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >     I'm starting a  thread related to the TODO item mentioned in the
> > subject. Currently still gathering info and trying to make kvm &
> > macvtap play nicely together. I have used this [1] guide to set it up
> > but qemu is still complaining about the PCI device address of the
> > virtio-net-pci. Tried with latest qemu. Am I missing something here?
> >
> > [1] - http://virt.kernelnewbies.org/MacVTap
> >

> It really should be:
>  -net nic,model=virtio,netdev=foo -netdev tap,id=foo
>
> Created account but still could not edit
> the wiki. Arnd, know why that is? Could you correct qemu
> command line pls?

I also have lost write access to the wiki, no idea what happened there.
I started the page, but it subsequently became protected.

We never added support for the qemu command line directly, the
plan was to do that using helper scripts.

The only way to do it is to redirect both input and output
to the tap device, so you ned to do

-net nic,model=virtio,netdev=foo -netdev tap,id=foo,fd=3 <>3

when starting from bash.

        Arnd