qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] qemu aborts if i add a already registered device from qemu

From: pradeep
Subject: [Qemu-devel] qemu aborts if i add a already registered device from qemu monitor ..
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 15:27:37 +0530

Hi

I tried to add a device to guest from upstream qemu monitor using
"device_add".
Unknowingly i try to add already registered devices from qemu
monitor, my qemu monitor is aborted. I don't see a reason to kill
monitor. I think abort() is a bit rough. we need a better way to handle
it.  If a user try to add a already registered device, qemu should
convey this to user saying that, this device already registered and an
error message should be fine than aborting qemu.

        QLIST_FOREACH(block, &ram_list.blocks, next) {
        if (!strcmp(block->idstr, new_block->idstr)) {
            fprintf(stderr, "RAMBlock \"%s\" already registered,
        abort!\n",
                    new_block->idstr);
            abort();
        }

If i return some other value in above code, instead of abort(), I
would  need change the code for every device, which i dont want to.
Is there a way to check, if device is already enrolled or not in the very
beginning of "device_add"
call.

Thanks
Pradeep