qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: KVM call agenda for Oct 19

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: KVM call agenda for Oct 19
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 14:38:34 +0100

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 2:33 PM, Anthony Liguori <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 10/19/2010 08:27 AM, Avi Kivity wrote:
>>
>>  On 10/19/2010 03:22 PM, Anthony Liguori wrote:
>>>
>>> I had assumed that this would involve:
>>>
>>> qemu -hda windows.img
>>>
>>> (qemu) snapshot ide0-disk0 snap0.img
>>>
>>> 1) create snap0.img internally by doing the equivalent of `qemu-img
>>> create -f qcow2 -b windows.img snap0.img'
>>> 2) bdrv_flush('ide0-disk0')
>>> 3) bdrv_open(snap0.img)
>>> 4) bdrv_close(windows.img)
>>> 5) rename('windows.img', 'windows.img.tmp')
>>> 6) rename('snap0.img', 'windows.img')
>>> 7) rename('windows.img.tmp', 'snap0.img')
>>>

>> Looks reasonable.
>>
>> Would be interesting to look at this as a use case for the threading work.
>>  We should eventually be able to create a snapshot without stalling vcpus
>> (stalling I/O of course allowed).
>
> If we had another block-level command, like bdrv_aio_freeze(), that queued
> all pending requests until the given callback completed, it would be very
> easy to do this entirely asynchronously.  For instance:
>
> bdrv_aio_freeze(create_snapshot)
>
> create_snapshot():
>  bdrv_aio_flush(done_flush)
>
> done_flush():
>  bdrv_open(...)
>  bdrv_close(...)
>
> Of course, closing a device while it's being frozen is probably a recipe for
> disaster but you get the idea :-)

bdrv_aio_freeze() or any mechanism to deal with pending requests in
the generic block code would be a good step for future "live" support
of other operations like truncate.

Stefan