qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Which qemu ports actually work?

From: Torbjorn Granlund
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Which qemu ports actually work?
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 21:12:45 +0200

Stefan Weil <address@hidden> writes:

  Which kind of host did you use? i386? x86_64? Linux? Windows?

FreeBSD 8.1-p1 x86_64 (the CPU is AMD Phenom X6).

I use the kqemu kernel module.  All software (kernel, /usr/ports) are
up-to-date as of yesterday.

  My working setups run on a Debian Linux (x86_64) host
  (most were also tested sucessfully on a Debian Linux (i386) host).

It would be useful if somebody published the tricks they use to get an
OS to run.  "It works for me" might make people do more trial-and-error,
but it might not make them lucky.

  Debian Linux i386, x86_64, arm, mips, mips64, ppc guests work.

I haven't tried arm and made just one futile attempt with mips (mips
wants a bios file I have yet to locate).

Are you willing to share your setups with me?  Even better, publish them
in such a way that people will easily find them?  Now, google seems
better at finding how qemu fails than how it succeeds...

  Obviously many developers use similar setups, so they are well tested
  and debugged.

I am glad to hear this!

--
Torbjörn