qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] AIX emulated on x86 host

From: glen . c . bodie
Subject: [Qemu-devel] AIX emulated on x86 host
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 15:52:51 -0400

I have an old AIX machine (IBM RS/6000 running AIX v5.x) and it's about to fall apart. I would like to migrate that machine's functions onto one of my VMware hosts, all of which are DELL 2950 servers (x86 architecture). I know VMware only runs x86 architecture guests. So I am planning a Windows 2003 Server guest, running QEMU as really the only thing it is doing and inside QEMU I want to run that AIX machine's functions.

Fundamental question - think that will work?

If the answer is YES then I need to worry about creating the PPC disk image, loading AIX onto it, loading my AIX applications and migrating the data from the old hardware to the new emulated machine. Think I'm nuts? Got a better alternative?

~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:
Thought for the day:
The universe may be as big as they say, but it wouldn't be missed if it didn't exist. (a Gruk by Piet Hein)
Regards -
Glen C. Bodie
Process Control Systems & Plant Computing Advisor,
Engineering Services Canada, Imperial Oil Limited
90 Wynford Dr, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M3C 1K5

(
Voice: (416) 441-7702
:
E-mail: address@hidden    Call me on NetMeeting
please consider the environment before printing this email