qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] AIX emulated on x86 host

From: Andreas Färber
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] AIX emulated on x86 host
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 13:14:16 +0200

Am 28.10.2010 um 22:14 schrieb Alexander Graf:

On 28.10.2010, at 08:42, Natalia Portillo wrote:

The last thing I've heard about that was long time ago when I and Jocelyn tried to make it work with OpenHackWare to no luck.

Anyway, right now, it does not work either, I just don't know if anyone is working on it.

FWIW, Andreas Färber is working on it. Those efforts are really just at the beginning though, so don't expect to see anything soon.

There are three main issues currently:
1) QEMU doesn't emulate a machine that would run current versions of AIX in reality. 2) We don't have a true ppc64 OpenBIOS, just some ppc64 support in the 32-bit version. 3) RTAS is just a stub in OpenBIOS, it doesn't even signal an error when used.

What I am working on:
* ppc64 compatibility of OpenBIOS code, i.e. getting things compiled at all
* 32-bit RTAS binary with minimal functionality
* a ppc64-softmmu chrp machine and accompanying differentiations in OpenBIOS

I occasionally push my WIP to:
http://repo.or.cz/w/qemu/afaerber.git - aix branch
http://repo.or.cz/w/openbios/afaerber.git - ppc branch

How you could help:
* Provide us with device trees from real AIX-capable CHRP machines that we can model memory layout and OF tree from. Additionally, any info on what devices/chipsets we would need to emulate would be helpful. (I'm currently basing things on mac99 emulation in lack thereof.) * Subscribe to the OpenBIOS mailing list [1] and review and test our ppc64 patches. * Any advice on how to get GCC 4.3+ powerpc64-linux cross-compilers built [2] would be appreciated. We could then better rule out compiler bugs. * You might try making the ppc-softmmu PReP emulation work with OpenBIOS and check if that would be supported by AIX 5. Massimo Montecchi inquired about that but didn't post any patches since then; you could try contacting him. If PReP were supported by AIX 5, it would still require RTAS support in OpenBIOS though.

Regards,
Andreas