qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: About QEMU debugging console

From: Andreas Färber
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: About QEMU debugging console
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 11:49:11 +0100

Am 29.10.2010 um 09:32 schrieb Jan Kiszka:

Am 29.10.2010 04:41, Zhiyuan Shao wrote:
On Thu, 2010-10-28 at 14:36 +0200, Jan Kiszka wrote:
The most important lacking feature is proper system-level debugging
support for gdb (via gdbstub). Once gdb has full access to all CPU
states of the x86 targets, you can pretty-print whatever you want inside
gdb via some nice Python scripts etc.

Are you mean that it is the responsibility of gdb to parse the output
data of qemu built-in commands and generate user-friend output? Or grant gdb full access to the target machine, which is emulated by Qemu, and it is the responsibility of gdb again to generate easy-to-read output for
the users?

More the latter: The full register set (including MSRs) need to be made
available to gdb via the remote protocol, and gdb has to be taught
interpreting it. This is e.g. required to understand the current
operating mode (16/32/64 bit) and legacy segmentation.
[...]
I think the first solution sounds more feasible, however, we still need
more helpful built-in commands in Qemu.
And it is hard to implement the second solution: By doing this, we may
need to have full support from GDB community.

For sure. But the major issue is more about resources to work on this
than gdb community support. Browse their mailing list archive to find
that they are actually supportive regarding this topic.

Since this seems a recurring topic, maybe you should put this onto the GSoC ideas list?

Regards,
Andreas