qemu-devel

Re: Windows host support [was: Re: [Qemu-devel] CFP: 1st International Q

From: Alexander Graf
Subject: Re: Windows host support [was: Re: [Qemu-devel] CFP: 1st International QEMU Users Forum]
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2010 11:56:45 +0100

On 28.11.2010, at 01:17, Nathan Froyd wrote:

>>> You're about the first person in 1/2 year that actually said you
>>> care about Windows hosts. Windows support for example is currently
>>> on the verge of getting deprecated, because we're lacking a
>>> maintainer.
>>
>> I suppose windows users are not as much used/interested/involved into
>> free software development workflows, and probably don't bother even
>> lurking on the developer mailing lists. They only shout when something
>> breaks :p
>
> We (CodeSourcery) are very interested in Windows host support.  (We
> distribute QEMU with our commerical development products for
> ARM/PowerPC/MIPS/SH/ColdFire/x86.)  Unfortunately, we've mostly been
> backporting patches lately and haven't done a full merge from upstream
> in some time, so we haven't noticed any potential breakage.  If somebody
> wanted to point out to me what the (potential) Windows issues are, we
> could take a look.

Redirecting you to Anthony here for the specifics. The main problem is that we
don't have anyone who takes the lead on Windows support. _If_ something breaks
of _if_ we need someone to take over the windows specific parts, there's this
huge gap.

So if you're willing to play that role, please send a patch to the MAINTAINERS
file and add yourself :)

Btw Anthony, what happened to the really well done MAINTAINERS file overhaul?

Alex