qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] QEMU Uncompressing Linux.... stalls

From: Prasad Joshi
Subject: [Qemu-devel] QEMU Uncompressing Linux.... stalls
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2010 19:04:54 +0000

Hello All,

I built an arm-linux kernel and trying to boot it using QEMU. But it
stalls after showing 'Uncompressing Linux...'

$ qemu-system-arm -M realview-pbx-a9 -kernel clfskernel-2.6.36 -initrd
rootfs.gz -append "console=ttyAMA0 root=/dev/sda1 rw
ramdisk_size=32678" -m 256 -nographic
Uncompressing Linux...

To debug I tried adding few prints in QEMU code, it seems to be
working I could see continues calls to cpu_exec() and cpu_arm_exec().

Then I added few prints around gunzip code in the kernel, the function
zlib_inflate() is not returning.

address@hidden:~# du -sh clfskernel-2.6.36
1.7M    clfskernel-2.6.36

address@hidden:~# du -sh rootfs.gz
744K    rootfs.gz

address@hidden:~# du -sh initrd-rootfs
128M    initrd-rootfs

address@hidden:~# du -sh initrd-rootfs.gz
37M     initrd-rootfs.gz

initially I was using initrd-rootfs.gz (37M) as my root file system. I
thought of creating one more rootfs with less size (744K). None of
them is working.
So the problem seems to be with the kernel image (zImage) but it is
already very small (1.7M).

Can someone please help?

Please keep me in CC as I am not subscribed to the mailing list.

Thanks and Regards,
Prasad