qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Buildbot for qemu.git/master

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Buildbot for qemu.git/master
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2011 16:36:11 +0000

Occassionally a commit that breaks the build gets merged into
qemu.git/master.  Build testing manually across all host platforms is
not feasible for most developers.  Remember we cover 32- and 64-bit
x86 Linux, Windows, and other host platforms.  There are factors like
compile time but the main problem is that few have access to all host
platforms.

This can be solved with automated builds.  If a build fails, the
mailing list or maintainers are notified.  This doesn't excuse
developers from build testing on platforms they have access to, but it
helps reduce the window of time between a broken commit going in and
it being noticed.

Buildbot is a continuous integration system that can be used to guard
qemu.git/master.  For details see
http://trac.buildbot.net/wiki/AboutBuildbot.

If there is a host platform you care about, please consider running a
buildslave.  A buildslave is a machine capable of performing automated
builds and reporting results.  Buildslaves do not require public IP
addresses and it's up to you whether you want to run it all the time
or not.

I'm volunteering to set up and maintain a buildbot for
qemu.git/master.  I will send out a link to the build status page once
it has been set up.

Daniel: I believe you run a buildbot for KVM.  Are you willing to
extend that setup to qemu.git/master?  I wanted to ask in case it
makes sense to combine the two.

Stefan