qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: [0/27] Implement emulation of pSeries logical partition

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: [0/27] Implement emulation of pSeries logical partitions (v4)
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 08:08:09 +1100

On Wed, 2011-03-23 at 15:45 +0100, Alexander Graf wrote:

> What's the magic to start a guest? I tried passing a disk which SLOF
> didn't detect (obviously - there's no IDE there). I also tried running
> a kernel directly with -kernel which gave me no output. How are you
> usually running your images?

hrm... you using -M pseries right ?

so -kernel should work with a kernel that is compiled for the pseries
platform (and it won't use SLOF).

a disk should work with SLOF if you use the default which is scsi (ie
pseries machine sets that flag that tells qemu to default to scsi, which
is then picked up by our vscsi).

IE. You should be able to stick a distro ISO in the virtual CD-ROM and
boot from that with SLOF. SLOF will read the qemu boot list (tho it only
knows about "c", "d" and "n" at that stage) and try them in order.

Cheers,
Ben.