qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] reduce reported VGA framebuffer to 8 MiB

From: Alon Levy
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] reduce reported VGA framebuffer to 8 MiB
Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 17:33:59 +0300

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 04:06:03PM +0200, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
> On 05/25/11 15:53, Alon Levy wrote:
> >Without this windows xp guests set a 4 bits per pixel graphics mode.
>
> Hmm?  Never seen this.  Details please.

When I start a windows xp guest with -vga qxl and no qxl driver installed I get
a 16 color (4 bits) display mode, you notice it straight away because it's just
ugly.

When I looked at the VBE calls the only difference between the calls done with
-vga qxl
and -vga std seemed to be the reported size (reported in 64K chunks, so for qxl
the val
is 0x400 by default, and for std vga it is 0x80). With this patch windows sets
the right
mode (32 bit color).

Actually it seems this patch make the qxl driver refuse to load, I'm trying to
figure out
why (or if in fact it's this patch).