qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [libvirt] QMP: RFC: I/O error info & query-stop-reason

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [libvirt] QMP: RFC: I/O error info & query-stop-reason
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2011 15:55:44 -0500

On 06/02/2011 03:13 PM, Eric Blake wrote:
On 06/02/2011 02:03 PM, Anthony Liguori wrote:
{ "event": "BLOCK_IO_ERROR",
        "data": { "device": "ide0-hd1",
                  "operation": "write",
                  "action": "stop",
                  "reason": "enospc", }

I'm ok with either way. But in case you meant the second one, I guess
we should make "reason" a dictionary so that we can group related
information when we extend the field, for example:

     "reason": { "no space": false, "no permission": true }

The idea for an event with details certainly has merit.

In an ideal would, would would just embed the BlockDeviceInfo structure in the event and call it a day. In a less than ideal world, I think it's better to make a call to query-block after having received the BLOCK_IO_ERROR event.

Why would we ever have "no permission"?

SELinux denial, perhaps?

Maybe, but that would take a considerable amount of magic to make happen in practice. Really only sounds plausible as an sVirt bug. I think you could only make this happen if you you doing dynamic labelling.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

Maybe libvirt guys could provide more input wrt the error reason usage.
If we don't have valid use cases for other errors, then I'll agree that
providing only "no space" is enough.

Definitely!  Adding libvirt to the CC to help encourage their input.

We could always start with just one reason "no space", and add more
later if and when we come up for use cases.