qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] RFC patch - option to disable PS/2 mouse

From: Michal Suchanek
Subject: [Qemu-devel] RFC patch - option to disable PS/2 mouse
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2011 19:36:34 +0200

Hello

attaching a patch that allows disabling the PS/2 mouse.

I use this feature to prevent Windows XP guest with recent Synaptics
driver installed from crashing at boot.

The Synaptics driver is somewhat misguided in that (unlike earlier
versions) it installs on pretty much any PS/2 hardware (real or
virtual). There is no problem with this on real hardware. You just get
the Synaptics control panel running uselessly.

On kvm Windows panics during boot.

This patch allows Windows to boot. No PS/2 mouse is detected neither
in Windows nor Linux. However, I am not sure this is the right
approach to disabling the mouse.

I would appreciate if somebody reviewed the patch and either pointed
out issues or merged it into qemu and kvm so that I don't have to
repeatedly patch my binaries.

While this error can be worked around in the guest and it is not
obvious which side is wrong the ability to turn off the mouse might be
useful in some other situations as well.

Thanks

Michal