qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] device assignment for embedded Power

From: Paul Brook
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] device assignment for embedded Power
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2011 12:16:35 +0100

> One feature we need for QEMU/KVM on embedded Power Architecture is the
> ability to do passthru assignment of SoC I/O devices and memory.  An
> important use case in embedded is creating static partitions--
> taking physical memory and I/O devices (non-PCI) and partitioning
> them between the host Linux and several virtual machines.   Things like
> live migration would not be needed or supported in these types of
> scenarios.
>
> SoC devices do not sit on a probeable bus and there are no identifiers
> like 01:00.0 with PCI that we can use to identify devices--  the host
> Linux kernel is made aware of SoC I/O devices from nodes/properties in a
> device tree structure passed at boot.   QEMU needs to generate a
> device tree to pass to the guest as well with all the guest's virtual
> and physical resources.  Today a number of mostly complete guest device
> trees are kept under ./pc-bios in QEMU, but this too static and
> inflexible.

I doubt you're going to get generic passthrough of arbitrary devices working
in a useful way. My expectation is that, at minimum, you'll need a bus
specific proxy device. i.e. create a virtual device in qemu that responds to
the guest, and happens poke at a host device rather than emulating things
directly.

For busses like I2C this is fairly trivial - all communication with the device
goes down a single well defined and easily proxied channel.  For more complex
busses you end up having to emulate a lot more.  Basically you have to emulate
everything that is different between the host and guest.  If that happens to
include device specific state then you loose.

Using PCI devices as an example: The resources provided by the device are
self-describing, so proxying those is fairly straightforward, and doesn't even
require manual configuration.  However replicating the environment seen by the
device is trickier as PCI devices can initiate memory accesses (i.e. bus-
master).  For machines without an IOMMU this means passthrough in general
can't work, and substantial amounts of device specific knowledge is required.
You'd need to intercept and modify and/oor proxy all data relating to DMA
addresses.  In practice you need to emulate an IOMMU inside qemu (so you can
determine the address space accessed by the device), and arrange for the host
IOMMU to present the same virtual address space to the real device.

Paul