qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] device assignment for embedded Power

From: Paul Brook
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] device assignment for embedded Power
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2011 12:55:24 +0100

> But the real challenge is how to expose the device to the guest device
> tree. Especially when it comes to links between dt nodes, interrupt maps,
> etc. We basically have 3 choices there:
>
>   * take the host device tree pieces and modify them
>   * provide device tree chunks for each device (manually or through qdev
> parameters) * use the device tree as machine config file and base
> everything on it (solves the linking problem)
>
> The main question is which one would be the cleanest solution. And how
> would it be implemented.

I don't think any of this is specific to device passthrough.  It occurs as
soon as you have any user-configurable parts of the machine (or even just a
nontrivial selection of machine variants).  My guess is the only reason you
haven't hit it before is because you're only emulated a single hard-coded
SoC/board.

Paul