qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Benchmarking activities

From: Blue Swirl
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Benchmarking activities
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2011 22:32:45 +0300

2011/6/27 Ben Vogler <address@hidden>:
> Hi QEMU devel team,
>

> I work for Toyota Technical Centre Australia in the software department. We
> are currently conducting benchmarking on a broad spectrum of virtual
> platform simulators. I was wondering if I could ask you guys a few question
> about QEMU, however I understand if it is too much to ask. Below is a list
> of questions I have:
>

> -          I have seen examples of QEMU processor cores being wrapped in
> SystemC and used in OSCI based virtual systems – is this the general
> approach, or is there other/better ways of going about using QEMU not as an
> emulator (such as VMware), but as a simulator?

Maybe this report from QEMU User Forum may help:
http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2011-03/msg02065.html

> -          Is there full backwards compatibility between versions of QEMU?

In some cases (maybe x86 only) there is migration compatibility
between versions. In other cases this effort has not been considered
worthwhile.

> -          I have been looking but could not find a complete list of
> processor core models supported by QEMU. I have seen there are processors
> from Sparc, ARM, MIPS, but are there any core models from NEC, or Renesas in
> particular? Would you please be able to point me in the right direction?

Those are not supported. Each emulator can list the CPU models with
flag -cpu '?'.

> The rest of my questions are based on the assumption that QEMU IP will be
> used in a virtual system simulation, rather than emulation.
>

> -          Is co-simulation possible? For example, connecting an engine
> model running in Dymola to the QEMU (processor model) based virtual system
> simulator.

No idea.

> -           Are there any inbuilt data tracing features? For example,
> hardware signal tracing, register monitoring etc.

Tracing is quite new addition, so far it's only used for development
or debugging QEMU point of view I think.