qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [libvirt] speeding up qemu core dumps

From: Jim Fehlig
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [libvirt] speeding up qemu core dumps
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2011 21:42:23 -0600

Eric Blake wrote:
> On 08/03/2011 08:37 AM, Jim Fehlig wrote:
>> http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2011-02/msg01156.html
>>
>> I thought there were more discussions on the topic but can only find the
>> above thread ATM.
>>
>> Do folks here have objections to increasing the migration speed prior to
>> core dump?  If not, any suggestions for a value?  I set the migration
>> speed to 1G in doCoreDump() prior to calling qemuMigrationToFile() with
>> following improvement dumping a 4G guest
>
> Why any limit at all?  When dumping to file rather than network, I
> can't think of any justification for a default limit when targetting a
> local drive (a particular installation may have a reasonable limit,
> especially if the file involved happens to use a network - think
> NFS).  It seems like it would make sense to override the qemu defaults
> and go with unlimited speed for faster dump and save operations.

Agreed, 1G was just a test value, but I'm haven't yet figured out how to
define unlimited.  From libvirt json monitor connection I tried
migrate_set_speed with INT64_MAX, but that was invalid.  Using qemu
monitor directly, I can go as high as INT64_MAX-512

(qemu) migrate_set_speed 9223372036854775295B
(qemu) migrate_set_speed 9223372036854775296B
invalid size

Any hints on proper way to set unlimited migration speed?

Regards,
Jim