qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [V5 Patch 3/4]Qemu: Command "block_set" for dynamic blo

From: Supriya Kannery
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [V5 Patch 3/4]Qemu: Command "block_set" for dynamic block params change
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2011 14:02:11 +0530

On 08/01/2011 09:14 PM, Anthony Liguori wrote:
On 08/01/2011 10:44 AM, Kevin Wolf wrote:
Am 01.08.2011 17:28, schrieb Anthony Liguori:
2. Top-level command for each parameter (e.g. block_set_hostcache).
Supported parameters are easily discoverable via query-commands. If
individual block devices support different sets of parameters then
they may have to return -ENOTSUPP.

I like the block_set approach.

Anthony, Kevin, Supriya: Any thoughts?

For the sake of overall QMP sanity, I think block_set_hostcache is
really our only option.

Ideally we should have blockdev_add, and blockdev_set would just take
the same arguments and update the given driver.

Ideally we'd have a backend_add, backend_set, etc.

But in the absence of that, we should provide the best interface we can
with the current tools we have.

For now, using high level commands is the best we can do.

Will be modifying code to have 'block_set_hostcache' command implemented. Along with that, planning to implement 'query-block_set_hostcache', that returns current hostcache setting
for all the applicable block devices.

I am not able to find how "query-commands" is helping out
to programmatically find out all the supported parameters
of a specific command. When I tried out, "query-commands"
is listing all the supported command names. "query-xx" is
returning current settings related to command 'xx',
but not any information related to supported parameters
of 'xx'.
Am I missing something?

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

But we don't have blockdev_add today, so whatever works for your as a
temporary solution...

Kevin