qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] [RFC] PowerPC Mac OS on Qemu

From: William Hahne
Subject: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] PowerPC Mac OS on Qemu
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2011 14:46:35 -0500

Hello,

I am a Google Summer of Code student working on getting PowerPC Mac OS running on Qemu. While I am not finished I need to upstream what I currently have before the end of Summer of Code. My patch is for OpenBIOS but I am cross-posting to both Qemu and OpenBIOS mailing lists since it is useful to get feedback from both.

One part of the patch I am particularly concerned about is the patch to arch/ppc/qemu/init.c to provide a CPU and Timebase frequency. Qemu doesn't report a CPU frequency and the reported Timebase frequency is too high and causes the Mac OS scheduler to break. I hard-coded values that work but this seems like an unacceptable long-term solution to me. A simple test for CPU frequency might be the best solution here but seems a little redundant as Mac OS later runs its own test, seemingly only relying on these values during initialization (I am not 100% sure of this since it crashes before reaching that point.) Feedback here would be especially appreciated.

Another thing to note is in drivers/adb_kbd.c. "get-key-map" which returns a map of the current pressed keys on the keyboard just returns a dummy value. I felt it was a waste of time making a full implementation when all it really gets you is the ability to use keyboard shortcuts for verbose or single user mode.

Other than those specific concerns I welcome general feedback on the patch, since as I said I am hoping to get it in before the end of Summer of Code.

Thanks,
William Hahne