qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] kvm PCI assignment & VFIO ramblings

From: Roedel, Joerg
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] kvm PCI assignment & VFIO ramblings
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 13:01:22 +0200

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 10:56:13AM -0400, Alex Williamson wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-08-24 at 10:43 +0200, Joerg Roedel wrote:
> > A side-note: Might it be better to expose assigned devices in a guest on
> > a seperate bus? This will make it easier to emulate an IOMMU for the
> > guest inside qemu.
>
> I think we want that option, sure.  A lot of guests aren't going to
> support hotplugging buses though, so I think our default, map the entire
> guest model should still be using bus 0.  The ACPI gets a lot more
> complicated for that model too; dynamic SSDTs?  Thanks,

Ok, if only AMD-Vi should be emulated then it is not strictly
necessary. For this IOMMU we can specify that devices on the same bus
belong to different IOMMUs. So we can implement an IOMMU that handles
internal qemu-devices and one that handles pass-through devices.
Not sure if this is possible with VT-d too. Okay VT-d emulation would
also require that the devices emulation of a PCIe bridge, no?

Joerg

--
AMD Operating System Research Center

Advanced Micro Devices GmbH Einsteinring 24 85609 Dornach
General Managers: Alberto Bozzo, Andrew Bowd
Registration: Dornach, Landkr. Muenchen; Registerger. Muenchen, HRB Nr. 43632