qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] OSX under QEMU (with a bit of tianocore, and ahci)

From: Nathan Coulson
Subject: [Qemu-devel] OSX under QEMU (with a bit of tianocore, and ahci)
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 01:41:00 -0700

I was curious about  using qemu to run osx.  From what I gathered,
this is not supported under Qemu at this time, but I was curious how
far along it was.

I tried a few variations, to see if I could get the DVD to boot

Standard QEmu w/ Bios:
qemu-system-x86_64 \
  -device ahci,id=ahci \
  -drive id=disk,file=img/osx105.img,if=none \
    -device ide-hd,drive=disk,bus=ahci.0 \
  -drive id=cdrom,file=/dev/sr0,media=cdrom \
  -m 1536 -cpu Nehalem --enable-kvm \
  -usb -usbdevice mouse -usbdevice keyboard \
  -device isa-applesmc,osk= [cut] \
  -daemonize -no-reboot -no-shutdown
[also tried using     -device ide-cdrom,drive=cdrom,bus=ahci.1, but
that did not boot]

I have also attempted to use tianocore from
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/tianocore/index.php?title=OVMF
although I was not able to boot the installation DVD. (tried with, and
without ahci [it does not seem to attempt to boot the dvd when it's on
ahci]

I am fairly familiar with how bios booting works, (first 512, or first
2048 bytes on hdd, or cd), but I do not know how EFI would boot a cd.

Also tried using Tianocore, but I was unable to get the DVD to boot
[OSX 10.6.0 installation dvd]

there is a CD called iBoot I found on the tonymacx86.com site.  I
believe it attempts to create a EFI environment...  You boot with the
iboot CD, eject cdrom, change cdrom /dev/sr0, and boot.  It works
without AHCI (fails to boot when using AHCI).  It reboots when I
attempt to boot the OSX dvd though (but this is the closest I got).
adding -no-reboot -no-shutdown the last thing on the screen is the
apple logo.  In verbose mode,  it shows some text, then a black
screen.

In summary:
- bios, and tianocore without ahci fails to boot [expected with bios of course]
- With ahci,  it does not even try to boot,  (almost like the device
does not exist), although it was in the qemu console.
- iBoot is the only solution I found so far capable of actually
starting the boot process (at least the first 0.1 seconds of it...)

Thank you

--
Nathan Coulson (conathan)
------