qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL] Memory API conversions, batch 5

From: Markus Armbruster
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL] Memory API conversions, batch 5
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 08:30:02 +0200

Blue Swirl <address@hidden> writes:

> On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 7:02 PM, Anthony Liguori <address@hidden> wrote:
>> On 08/25/2011 01:58 PM, Blue Swirl wrote:
>>>
>>> On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 6:27 PM, Edgar E. Iglesias
>>> <address@hidden>  wrote:
[...]
>>> It's also possible to revert offending patches. But a better solution
>>> would be to have a comprehensive test setup to do builds and run
>>> checks on selected trees. Before a pull to main tree, the test results
>>> should be available.
>>
>> Before a pull *request*.  Semantically, pull requests should be treated as a
>> push.  It's the submaintainers responsibility to test the bits they do a
>> pull request for.
>
> Then all maintainers should have the same understanding of what to test.

In my opinion, the way to spread that understanding is a working "make
check".  Make it fail constructively when it needs more stuff installed,
like test images, or additional software.

Anything more complicated than such a one-liner is bound to be misused,
forgotten, or ignored.

Heck, if it's that simple, even non-maintainers could use it ;)

[...]