qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] In-kernel emulation

From: Xin Tong
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] In-kernel emulation
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2011 15:16:16 -0400

I am kind of speculating here. I could be wrong

MMU. in the kernel you can manipulate the EPT reg which is normally used by kvm ( introduced by intel vmx, or amd svm).

IO, specifically for network packets, they do not need to go to user space, they can be handled to the virtual machine directly.

Thanks

Xin

On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 3:10 PM, 陳韋任 <address@hidden> wrote:
> guest isa is different from host isa in this case.
>
> Xin
>
> On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 12:33 PM, 陳韋任 <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > > I am wondering that whether there are any attempts (product-oriented or
> > > research-based ) to push QEMU into the Linux kernel to speed up emulation.
> > > If the emulation is running in the kernel, there are some resources it can
> > > manipulate to speed up emulation in comparison to the when it is running as
> > > a user process, i.e. MMU. Also, IO emulation may become faster, because 2

 I would like to know how you can leverage linux kernel to speed up
MMU/IO emulation if guest and host are different ISAs. :)

--
Wei-Ren Chen (陳韋任)
Computer Systems Lab, Institute of Information Science,