qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] GSoC mentor summit QEMU users session

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] GSoC mentor summit QEMU users session
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 13:12:54 +0000

On 29 October 2011 14:52, Alexander Graf <address@hidden> wrote:
> We should also show people unmaintained areas. The conclusion was a wiki
> page with subsystems and status so people know what to expect. Maybe we
> could generate this from the MAINTAINERS file?

Sounds like a good idea, although I think we might need to expand
MAINTAINERS a bit -- I get the impression that there are a lot of
"little bits" that fall into the gaps between the top-level areas
marked out in MAINTAINERS.

> Also, an easy way of counterfighting the feeling ignored part is
> to tell people that they just hit an unmaintained area. There's
> nothing more frustrating than sending a patch and get no reply.
> Receiving a reply "Sorry, this area is unmaintained. Please find
> someone to review it." would already be enough for most people.

The difficulty that strikes me with this is that I'm not sure any
one person can reliably look at a patch and say "that's for an
unmaintained area" (at least, I know what areas I can review but
I have no idea about everybody else...) So you can only really
tell by default, ie if the patch sits for a few weeks without
any reply...

> A lot of people seem to also have code that doesn't make sense
> upstream, for example implementing a one-off device that only
> really matters for their own devboard which nobody else owns.
> For such cases, having a plugin framework would be handy. I
> interestingly enough got into the same discussion on LinuxCon
> with some QEMU downstreams.

If we get the qdev rework done then I think we're probably in
a better position to have a plugin framework for devices. (There
are some issues about API and ABI stability guarantees, of course.)

-- PMM