qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Do you have a use for a tester of virtio-scsi with CD d

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Do you have a use for a tester of virtio-scsi with CD drives ?
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2011 17:34:03 +0100

On 11/02/2011 05:26 PM, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
Hi,

Paolo Bonzini wrote:
I suggest trying with 1.0-rc (origin/master).

Am i on the right track with  git clone git://git.qemu.org/qemu.git  ?

Yes.

scsi-block uses
read+write for READ/WRITE CDBs and SG_IO for everything else.

That sounds scary to me. On real Linux systems it is not advisable to
mix SG_IO and block device driver. At least not with optical media.
Often the block device does not learn about status changes until
the tray gets ejected and reloaded manually or by the block device
driver. If i load it by START/STOP UNIT via SG_IO, then the block
device driver believes there are no readable blocks on the medium.

Ah, I didn't know this. Probably it's because I didn't test on a machine with a tray that can load, only a laptop. We certainly can switch more commands from pass-through to emulated (including START/STOP UNIT).

Paolo