qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] GSoC mentor summit QEMU users session

From: Lluís Vilanova
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] GSoC mentor summit QEMU users session
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2011 19:45:31 +0100

Stefan Hajnoczi writes:

> On Thu, Nov 03, 2011 at 10:35:28AM +0100, Fabien Chouteau wrote:
>> > I took a quick peak at the qemu-trace.[ch] from couverture and it
>> > looks along the lines of the instrumentation that others have been
>> > doing too.  I hope you have time to propose the coverage
>> > instrumentation for upstream QEMU.
>> >

>> I don't know much about other instrumentations in Qemu (pointers are
>> welcome :), but what we have in couverture-qemu is not trivial,
>> especially when it comes to MC/DC analysis. You should take a look at
>> 201005-erts2.pdf if you want technical details.

> My impression was that the QEMU portion of instrumentation was fairly
> simple - it writes out trace records at various interesting points
> during guest execution in TCG.

> I think fancy analysis scripts do not have to be part of QEMU but they
> could be added to scripts/ or put in a new contrib/ directory.

I've only had a brief look into the changes, but I think the mechanism I
implemented has a cleaner fit into QEMU, thanks to previous feedback from this
list.

It explicitly separates the tracing mechanism (in QEMU itself) from the specific
trace analysis (which resides in a separate library specified by the user at
compile time, where most of couverture would go).

On the other hand, I have a complementary set of events, so we can definitely
join the efforts on that side (e.g., I haven't yet went into the trouble of
adding the begin/end TB or branch events).

I have only managed to send the most general changes that are needed before
having the full-fledged instrumentation, but if there's no opposition on having
this kind of feature I will start sending the rest once mainline opens up again
(which I believe won't take much more time).

Lluis

 Tollbooth