qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [TestDays] s390x emulation error

From: Alexander Graf
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [TestDays] s390x emulation error
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 00:26:39 +0100

On 10.11.2011, at 00:23, Andreas Färber wrote:

Am 10.11.2011 00:21, schrieb Alexander Graf:

Am 10.11.2011 um 00:20 schrieb Andreas Färber <address@hidden>:

Am 10.11.2011 00:18, schrieb Alexander Graf:
Am 09.11.2011 um 23:53 schrieb Andreas Färber <address@hidden>:
I get the following error:

$ s390x-softmmu/qemu-system-s390x
qemu-system-s390x: Guest moved used index from 0 to 47802

Same if specifying SLES 11 SP2 Beta8 DVD .iso via -cdrom.

First time trying it, am I missing anything?
The error message is not really telling either way and should be fixed.

S390 doesn't have a standardized way of booting off CDs, so you have to manually run the image from the CD by passing it to -kernel. It's done the same way on real hardware :(.

Fine with me. Just please have the emulator say so! :)

Hm. That is zipl business really. It should print a warning when it can't find a boot record I suppose :).

Or the machine, knowing what QEMU-specific firmware it uses, could error
if it doesn't get -kernel arguments. :) Me, I don't know zipl.

There is a very simple zipl-derived bootloader in QEMU that can boot off disk images. It just can't boot off CDs:

Alex