qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] (no subject)

From: Ronnie Sahlberg
Subject: [Qemu-devel] (no subject)
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2011 08:46:45 +1100

List,

Please find a patch that adds a new section for iSCSI to qemu-doc.

This section provides much more verbose description of iSCSI and its use than
the manpage and also includes a short description on how to set up a
simple iSCSI target on loopback and then accessing it from QEMU.

The example on how to set up iSCSI Target uses the STGT iscsi target,
so the example would only work on a subset of linux/bsd systems.
I recognize also that this might be controversion, since why show how to
configure "xyz unrelated package" in QEMU documentation.
My intention here is to provide a howto that describes how to quickly get iSCSI
target up and running and to get QEMU to use it. As a quick howto for people
that are not familiar with iSCSI but still want to test it out quickly.

Learning how to set up iSCSI target can often be somewhat complex and daunting
and could otherwise act as huge treshold for people that would just want to
get iSCSI running and experiment with QMEU, but would otherwise not want to
spend a lot of time learning about the target side of iscsi.

I think having examples like this is useful but see that it could be seen as
controversial.
Feel free to remove that part of the patch if you think this does not belong in
the qemu docs.

regards
ronnie sahlberg