qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] UDP patch request

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] UDP patch request
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 10:48:25 +0000

On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 3:48 AM, Kamil Rytarowski <address@hidden> wrote:
> As a user (not a developer) of GNS3 I ask you to include the patch for UDP.
> VirtualBox has included it, so it's time for QEMU now.
>
> There was discussion about it (p.ex
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2011-11/msg00787.html )
>
> I wish I had it finally for Qemu 1.0. It makes possible for an average user
> to use full-featured and well-rounded GNS3.

The patch was resent a few times in the same thread without following
the usual convention of sending top-level "PATCH v2", "PATCH v3", etc
emails.  Andreas Faerber asked Benjamin to send the patch in the way
normally done on qemu-devel:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2011-11/msg01157.html

Benjamin: If you send the final version of the patch to qemu-devel as
described by Andreas I'm sure it'll get attention again.

The reason that there is a standard way for submitting patches is that
it helps streamline the process for everyone involved.  The qemu-devel
list is fairly high volume, so qemu.git maintainers cannot read each
individual thread to keep an eye on patches.  Instead they scan for
new patches that have been reviewed, tested, and/or acked by someone
else on the list.  That is how they can handle the large amount of
traffic.

So basically it's just a case of sending the patch to the list and it
seems Jan and others are happy for it to be applied.

Hope this helps explain what the status of the patch looks like from a
regular qemu-devel reader's perspective.

Stefan