qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] insmod virtio-blk is broken in qemu 1.0

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] insmod virtio-blk is broken in qemu 1.0
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 13:26:51 -0600

On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 12:02:59PM -0600, Anthony Liguori wrote:
I would like to point out that August ->  October is a pretty long
time period for a regression like this to exist.  I think that
really indicates that the primary problem is testing, not frequency
of SeaBIOS updates.

One complication is that alot of us are not necessarily testing the
SeaBIOS that is in QEMU GIT. Fedora rawhide includes qemu-kvm.git
snapshots which are updated fairly frequently, but we don't use
the SeaBIOS QEMU includes. Instead Fedora includes the latest
SeaBIOS upstream release.

I understand why Debian and Fedora do this but it is unfortunate from a QA perspective.

Fedora is on a different release schedule than QEMU, so it's easy for it to do an "upstream freeze", and grab the latest SeaBIOS release and QEMU release.

But we don't treat SeaBIOS as a separate package supporting arbitrary combinations of SeaBIOS and QEMU.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

So Fedora 16/rawhide users would never have seen this particular
bug for longer than a couple of weeks until the fixed SeaBIOS
arrived.

Regards,
Daniel