qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [ANNOUNCE] qemu-test: a set of tests scripts for QEMU

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [ANNOUNCE] qemu-test: a set of tests scripts for QEMU
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2011 12:35:58 -0600

On 12/29/2011 11:49 AM, Peter Maydell wrote:
On 29 December 2011 17:26, Avi Kivity<address@hidden>  wrote:
On 12/29/2011 07:22 PM, Peter Maydell wrote:
My guess is that a serious attempt at tests covering all the
functionality of a device is probably approximately doubling
the effort required for a device model, incidentally. A
half-hearted attempt probably doesn't buy you much over
automating "boot the guest OS and prod its driver".

Agreed.

The next obvious question is: are we going to make a serious attempt?
(For instance, in a hypothetical tests-required world, would we
tell those nice folks from Samsung "no you can't land your
Exynos patches unless you write 9000+ lines of test cases" ?

The virtio-serial test case I posted was 50 lines in qemu-test. The virtio-serial driver is about ~1500 LOC. That's about 3%.

I would expect that we at least have some sort of test that could verify that the Exynos platform more or less worked as expected. If that was just booting a Linux kernel, that would be fine by me.

I suspect that if we set the bar for new board and device models
that high then the result will largely be that we don't in fact
get new board or device models.)

This is why the barrier needs to be as low as possible.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

-- PMM